El Médano is aiming to become the Jazz capital of the Canary Islands and its ongoing mission gets a massive boost this month with the staging of the first Red Mountain Jazz Festival – Jazz Roja – 12th – 19th May 2014.
Already home to the Canary Islands’ largest online radio broadcaster Qfm 94.3 who specialise in Jazz, Blues, Soul, Ethnic and non-mainstream music genres, the free festival will feature more than 50 Jazz, Blues and Soul artists from across the Canary Islands performing in 15 concerts over the course of a week.
The action will mainly centre around the aptly named Plaza Roja (Red Square) alongside the port where the festival will reach its crescendo on Saturday 17th May with a free concert featuring no less than five live artists along with a DJ session from organisers Qfm and an after-concert party amongst the African masks and fake big game trophies at Pub Goiter.
In the run up to Saturday, concerts will be held in various venues in the town including Veinte 04 Surf Cafe where you’ll be able to listen to cool vibes while enjoying their really cool burgers; Bar Magma with its lively pub atmosphere; Bar Goiter where Tati and Luís will be hosting Latin and Brazilian Jazz Funk; and surf dude hangout Jeip. The whole affair will terminate on Sunday 18th May with an open jam session from 7pm to 11pm.
Not only are all the events free of any admission charges but a percentage of the takings will also be donated to CARITAS who are based in Granadilla de Abona and who work with families and individuals who are in need of food, clothing and basic essentials.
The event is the brainchild of Qfm 94.3 and has come to fruition with the help of the local business association ASEC and the Canary Islands government. Together they’ve come up with this fabulous event which, if it’s successful, will help them to achieve their aim and make El Médano the cool Jazz centre, not just of Tenerife, but of the Canaries.
The full line-up for the event is:
12th May 8:00PM: Vera & Joy (Jazz Vocal) Bar Magma.
13th May 8:00PM: Jonay Martín Quartet (Jazz) Veinte 04 Surf Cafe.
- 8:30PM: Charly Daicz Quartet (Above – Flamenco Jazz, World Jazz) Veinte 04 Surf Cafe.
- 11:00PM: Free Quartet (Latin-Jazz-Funk) Bar Goiter.
- 9:30PM: Con-Fusión Quartet & Elmar(Jazz-Funk, Fusión), Veinte 04 Surf Cafe.
- 11:00PM: Magnumar Brazilian Funk Quartet (Brazilian Jazz Funk) Bar Goiter.
- 9:30PM: David Minguillón Quartet (Jazz, Jazz Fusión) Veinte 04 Surf Cafe.
- 11:00PM: Abraxas Trío (Latin-Jazz-Fusión) Bar Jeip.
17th May, Plaza Roja:
- 6:00PM: Groovy Groove Quartet (Smooth Jazz)
- 7:30PM: Anna Rodriguez & Eliseo Lloreda Face Quartet (top image – Jazz, Blues, Motown, Funk)
- 8:40PM: Qfm Sunset Session with DJ Pablo Amador
- 9:00PM: Liqueur de Feeling Quintet ft. Marianne Robiou (Swing, Jazz, Blues, Funk, Bossanova)
- 10:30PM: Cotton Blues (Blues, Blues-Jazz, Blues-Rock)
- 12:00PM: Fermin Rivero Quintet (saxophonist, 2nd image from top) & Guest Charly Daicz (Jazz, Jazz-Funk, Flamenco-Jazz-Rock)
- Pub Goiter 01:00AM: (+1) After Jazz Party with DJ Pablo Amador
18th May: Pub Goiter 19:00H: Open Jam Session & Jazz Roja Closing Party
Category : events
Subscribe : RSS 2.0